Tuesday 26 June 2012

What if?

Athens
In french, we say "With ifs, you get to Paris". Some believe in destiny, think that what should happen will happen. Inevitably.

I don't know. Even if I can't refrain from asking myself that question. What if?

I ended up in Greece a little bit in spite of the plans I first made. If that country had always been a destination I wished I could visit, I never believed I would stop there that year. But the tickets from Amman to Athens and Athens to Vilnius were cheaper than the Amman to Vilnius ticket. Going with the flow!

The first night, in my room, I met an Ontarian guy with whom I got along really well. We are the same, but different. A lifelong friend, probably. And we "changed" the world until four in the morning, at the rooftop bar, where we could see the Parthenon. We could have gone to bed later, but we had signed up for a guided tour the next morning, at 10:15.

What if? If I had not chosen Greece, I would never have met him.

The next day, when I woke up, I learned the tour was canceled. I sat behind a computer to plan the next part of my trip. And I met two American girls, sisters, who were searching for another option for a free tour. I told them I would join if they were to find anything.

They decided to improvise for themselves. I followed. With the Ontarian guy and two Brazilians. The day was memorable. Unforgettable. We "changed" the world again.

What if? If the tour wasn't canceled?

When I was preparing to go to bed, the others decided to go out for a snack. I was on the verge of passing out but I was hungry. I followed. We "changed" the world again...

What if? If I opted out on that meal?

The next day, I left on a ferry for the island of Mykonos, leaving all those new friends behind. When I would be back, I knew they would all be gone. Heartbreaking goodbyes.

What if? What if I stayed in Athens one more day?

No comments:

Post a Comment