Sunday 17 June 2012

Stress in Bangkok

My last day in Bangkok wasn't as calm as I expected. First because I hardly slept the night before, when I got in town really late. My hostel was in Silom, an area, I must admit, not too advisable. But it is worth it to stay there to look at the "fauna". 

The neon signs are plenty. In the street, Thai girls are aligned on the sidewalk waiting for some "work". Lots of them.

Thai men all come to offer "ping pong shows", "banana shows" and other massages. "One minute free trial", they sometimes offer.

"Fauna", we can see it even more near the aerial metro (BTS) Asok, in Soi Cowboy. Depressing I must say.

In that street of pubs, the same lines of young women. If you sit on a corner of the street for a drink, there is always one of those "ladies" who will look at you, just in case you ask for something. But most of all, you can see western men walk around. Big belly, they all have the same profile, with a haircut just out of the 80's, a dirty mustache that goes with it, and often, an hawaian shirt. They offer a drink to the young women who pretend they're having fun. And they leave, hand in hand, when there is a little tenderness...

I went it that area with my friend Stéphane, just to see. Because I wouldn't have gone alone. But after talking with another Québécois for too long, I had to run a little to get my luggage before I left for the airport. The BTS going there is efficient, but a little slow when you're in a hurry.

Going to Jordan

I got to Royal Jordanian counter two hours before my flight. No other passenger there. Little stressed since I'm used to arrive in the airport three hours ahead of time. I still needed to go through immigration and security. Stressful when the woman says : do you have a ticket out of Jordan?

No!

Déjà-vu!

I checked on the canadian governement website. Saw nothing about that. No time to buy another ticket.

BUT... thank god for credit cards. Even more when they are gold or platine. They seem to be proving out of any doubt that you have sufficient funds to get in the country.

And surprise : I was the first one at the boarding gate. Stressed for no reason.

Health

For those interested, I saw a second doctor in Bangkok. This time, they made a great bandage and made sure my hand would heal properly. I will be taking pills for another week. But the infection seems to be gone and I got my mobility back.

No comments:

Post a Comment