Monday 25 June 2012

A night in the desert

Wadi Rum
I'm a little late telling my stories. If I took one week to post this message, I have to admit I'm 20 days late in my personnal journal where I should usually write down the details I might be  forgetting sooner or later. Anyway!

So here I am. Made my way to Jordan after a flight of about nine hours from Bangkok airport.

To get the visa? Nothing easier. No questions, no signature needed. Only 20 $JD. And a picture or your iris.

The experience started the wrong way since the taxi I was waiting for at the airport didn't show up. The driver I hired then wanted to bring me directly from Amman to Petra. No! I said more than once. And he finally listened.

When I got in the hostel, at around 6:45 in the morning, I signed up for a visit, the same day, at the Dead Sea. Must enjoy it while we can.


A driver brought us to Mount Nebo, where Moise was seen for the last time, before leaving us at the touristic beach of the Dead Sea. They don't call it touristic without a reason. It costs 16 $JD to get in. (Note that the jordanian dinar is a stronger currency than the canadian dollar)

We all know the Dead Sea is full of salt. But it is better not to have any wound when you get in the water. Because it burns. A lot. More than you can imagine. And let's just say that my recent visit at a doctor's office left me with a lot of reasons for my skin to burn. That is why one needs to take a shower after leaving the sea area. Because the sun and the salt, mixed together, equal pain. 

Desert

The next day, I left for Petra, where I immediately booked one day and one night in the desert with the campany 7 Pillars. I didn't want to get there alone, but I met a Hungarian girl in the hostel who decided to come with me.

At 6:30 in the morning, we left for the desert. It was a hot day. At least 45 degrees. And don't tell me " at least, in the desert, it's dry". It was a hot day.

I bought a scarf to protect my head and live the jordanian experience to the fullest. I was shown how to put it as a turban.

The experience was mindblowing. The rocks and the sand everywhere around made me so calm, made me think... and sweat, of course.

The most memorable moments were the sunset and that part of the night where I looked at the shooting stars without any light from any city. 

I started a conversation with a 32 years old American who fought in Irak. His time in the Middle East was a way to seek forgiveness, to make sure the arab world is not holding a grudge against him personally. Unforgettable.

That is without mentionning the visit of the ancient town of Petra itself, where I could confirm I will never be an acrobat. When we got lost on the high rocks and we needed to find a way down, the abrupt slopes were not too inviting. It's a miracle I didn't break anything.

The tiring way up to the monastery, on top of a hill, was probably the best moment.

From there, I went back to Amman, where my plane will fly me to a surprise destination : Athens.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment