Friday 29 June 2012

Indian Winter

Trakai
Does an Indian winter exists? (In opposition to Indian summer) When it's so cold when it's supposed to be summer, to a point where it's not normal?

Four and a half months traveling. I don't even know how many planes I took to get from one country to another. NEVER i wore shorts to travel in the air. In case.

But I was coming from Greece. Was hot. Told myself : why not! It is still my chance I had a sweater which was easier to transport in my arms than in my bag. Because I used it.

When I got in Vilnius, Lithuania's capital, it was 12 degrees, without exagerating. With a little bit of rain, of course. But it was the evening.

Just imagine how the next morning was even colder. I went up to my room three times to add more layers before heading out to explore the city. The scarf was a must. Luckily, Lithuania came out of winter in the afternoon and climate is getting warmer since, to the point temperature is reaching season average.

Forecast aside, Vilnius is a very calm capital. One of the most interesting part is probably the genocide museum, which was de KGB museum too. It tells the story of the country, its occupation by the Nazis and the Soviets. The building was an authentic prison and the basement was kept as it was to show where they would torture the prisoners. Disturbing. Especially the room with mattresses to cover the noise when the prisonners would scream.

On a more joyful note, I've noticed most women here walk with flowers in their hands. It's obvious. But it's true they have that little something that makes us want to offer them flowers. Ok, not to the ugly ones with mustaches. But to the others.

In the end, Vilnius is a young city where life is good. Friday night, in the streets, musicians are playing all types of music. Some other places, youngsters dance for fun next to the tables in the restaurants or in the middle of the parks. Inspiring.

That said, I'm moving on after only two days. Next destination : Latvia.  Wishing it will be easier to go from city to city in there.

Notes

- Bouh!!! for the discrimination against backpackers in Athens airport. For an unknown reason, I wasn't allowed to check my backpack in on the usual conveyer. I needed to cross the whole airport to put my backpack on a specail conveyer. Bouh again!


- Bouh!!! for the Greeks who close the sites where the ruins are at 3 PM. Is there still anything in this world that closes before 5 PM? That way, I missed threes site I could/would have visited. Too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment