Thursday 14 June 2012

Four... or two third of the trip

Drum roll! Four months!

A fourth month is gone, faster than the previous ones, pushing me fast toward the end of the adventure. Not yet. I still have the third of the road to go. But there is inevitably less time in front of me than there is behind. That is what is scary. 

So I have to get ready to go back home. The simple fact of leaving South-East Asia for Middle East is a giant step which will bring me way closer to home. All of a sudden, I won't be a visible minority anymore. Because the colleagues may laugh at me saying I look like an Arab, but even some people from the Middle East say so. All the Israelis I met to this day believe I'm one of them. We'll see if it gets useful.

For the assessment portion, the last month started well and finished bad. The incursion in South-East Asia made me see stuff I had never seen before. Vietnam memories will stay with me for a long time. For the friends I made, but also for the very different culture and the landscapes.

Cambodia has nothing to be ashamed of. The simplicity of the people goes straight to the heart. It makes us feel far from what we know, but it's perfect that way. And of course, Angkor Wat is reaching the top of the list of things one must see once in his life. It is tiring to stroll in there, but unforgettable.

Finally, Thailand didn't get what it deserved. Because I was sick for the whole 13 days I was there, it's hard to get a real perception of the country. I only visited the north, but I can't say I liked anything better than in the two previous countries. I am especially sad that I needed to cross Kanchanaburi from my list of places to visit.

Here are the cities I visited in the last month:

Vietnam : Hanoi, Halong Bay, Cat Ba, Sapa, Ho Chi Minh City, Cu Chi and some villages along the Mekong Delta.
Cambodia : Phnom Penh, Battambang, Siem Reap
Thailand : Bangkok, Ayutthaya, Lop Buri, Chiang Mai.

I will start this fifth month by stopping in Amman, Jordan.

No comments:

Post a Comment