Saturday 2 June 2012

Visiting Angkor Wat

The main reason to stop in Cambodia : Angkor Wat temples, of course. I spent two days there, but you definitely can stay longer.

Traditionally, visitors go to Angkor Wat around 5 AM to see the sunrise. But at this time of the year, lots of clouds in the morning. So I didn't get to see it.

Still, I spent five hours in the main temple, including the sunrise (!) and breakfast. Because yes, there are people selling food at the temple.

That said, the other temples are also worth it. There is Bayon, with its 54 tours and 216 faces scarved in the stones, or that other one, with a complicated cambodian name, with a huge Shiva head in the stones of the whole wall. We can also access the one where they filmed the Tomb Raider movie.

It is hard to decide the lenght of our stay in Siem Reap and at the temples. There is a passport for one day, three days or a week. The lenght will depend on everyone's taste. And they are not joking about the entry ticket... They take your picture to make sure you won't transfer it to anybody else.

Like I said, there is water, drinks and food here and there, but the prices are higher than anywhere else. There is also an impressive amount of kids and sellers  trying to sell us postcards and books. All the same. And they agree on a price so you can't bargain really.

One of them tried his luck and made me angry. For a book everyone was trying to sell for 10 $, than 5 $, but for which I was offering 3 $ because I don't have room in my bag, a man asked for 1 $. Really? Repeat! 1 $ for that book?

So I get my wallet out. For the third time : " One dollar, right?"

Answer : "Yes!"

I asked for change, since I didn't have any, giving him a 10 $ note. He answers : "Not enough! It's 11 $."

Oh, you little... It's not like "one" and "eleven" sound the same.

Anyway!


Located at a distance from Siem Reap, temples can be visited by bike, for a small cost, or by hiring a tuk-tuk driver for the day. It is better to book one the night before if you want to  see the sunrise. And shopping around is important, because the drivers waiting outside hostels and restaurants often have a deal with the owner of those places. They pay a commission. So they charge more.

Mine fell from the sky. Kind of. I hired him for cheaper than I would have paid at the hostel. And he brought me everywhere for two days. He informed me that this Sunday is election day. But I will miss that event because I'm leaving in the morning for Bangkok.

Make sure you have a big bottle of water before you visit the temples. Even a sauna wouldn't make you sweat that much. I promise.

In the end, let's say that downtown Siem Reap is only the home of tourists going to the markets and restaurants that are half way between asian and western cuisine. Not that authentic.

No comments:

Post a Comment