Sunday 17 June 2012

The Quebecois' call

The world is small. That's cliché. Enough that I refuse to use that expression. Especially while traveling. But... it is still true.

I met the same French couple three times in three days, in three different chinese cities, all of that without making an appointement. Same with an Israeli girl, met on the first and the last day of my trip in Mao's country. The list gets longer : a Canadian couple met in Siem Reap after a cruise together in Halong Bay in Vietnam, a duo of Irish girls appearing in the restaurant I was eating in, in Siem Reap one week after sharing a guided tour in Cu Chi, Vietnam, an English guy I came across in Angkor Wat who I spent one day with in Bangkok...

All of that is more or less random. But when you know someone who is traveling around the world, who left before you, and who has been going around Asia for ages, you stay on your toes... just in case. In case... happened. Stéphane (the author of La page à Pageau) got in Bangkok for the fourth time. I was in the north of Thailand, in Chiang Mai. We made an appointement in the capital to make sure we would see each other.

We can say what we want, hearing the québécois' accent, after a while, was a good change. It was even better to share the experience with someone who understands what I'm living. Precisely.

Do I want to go back to Quebec as of now? No! But taking a couple of hours to escape from my discovery mode gave me some energy back. Was stepping back in something I know.

And there is something strange to think I have now met with people I knew prior to my trip in Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Bangkok, and that it is possible I renew this experience in the week-end if I fly to Greece like I expect to...

No comments:

Post a Comment