Wednesday 27 June 2012

Broken brakes and cocaine

Mykonos
My excursion on Mykonos island wasn't realxing at all. First because I only planned one day to visit. And secondly because the adventures kept on coming.

It took me six hours on a big cruise ship from the Blue Star company to get to Mykonos... It took me a little bit of chance to catch it considering I woke up late, at the time I thought I would be leaving the hostel. That's what happens when you go to bed at 2 AM and you put your alarm at 5:30. You can't hear the alarm.

At least I got there and the owners of the hotel were waiting for me at the port. They recommended a place to rent motorcycles and ATVs if I wanted to explore at my own pace.

Let's be honest, in Mykonos, the main attractions are beaches. And for me, spending hours under a parasol... no thanks.

Went for an ATV I got in exchange for 20 euros.

First remark : hills are abrupt to get anywhere near the water. Roads are sinuous and they won't give you a helmet when you rent the ATV.

Not reassuring when, going down one of those hills, the breaks give up. Literally. Even by pushing as hard as I could on the breaks, the ATV wouldn't stop.

It is only when I got to the bottom of it, alive, that the ATV stalled and refused to start gain. Then I realized the breaks were unplugged.

That was too much. I decided to spend some time on the beach, wishing the problem would fix itself. You know, when you have no solution...

While they were waiting for a taxi, two Canadians I met earlier innocently offered me to try something new : cocaine. Exactly like you would ask someone if they want some chewing gum or a cigarette. Some people are just really open about their drug habits. Wasn't for me though.

We ended up starting the engine again, but it wasn't the same anymore. Good news was the breaks really fixed themselves up. (I'm not that naive)

When I got back to the ATV, someone with more knowledge than I do had plugged them back. That's what you call magic.

I went back to trade my ATV, insisting for ten minutes that I didn't feel safe anymore. They gave me a new one... and I survived Mykonos.

No comments:

Post a Comment