Tuesday 31 July 2012

The Cuban Visa

Last (I hope) saga about a visa.

Two weeks and some days away from going home, it is time to think about the stopover I planned in Cuba. Because yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, we need a visa to visit Castro's country. At least, that's what one can read on the canadian governement website.

In fact, it is necessary to get a "visitor's card". Most Canadians get one when they book through a travel agency. It means they often ignore they need it because they didn't have to ask for it. But for a nomad like me, who booked online, it is necessary to go to the consulate to get the piece of paper.

Informations are contradictory online. In some places, they'll say it is possible to pay to get the card at the airport in Habana. Others say you'll need the card at check-in or you'll be denied boarding.

No need to take chances. I found the correct list of documents I needed. Passport, a copy of my ticket, proof of stay... Form filled (impossible to find it online), proof of insurance and other papers also appear on some lists online. Hard to find your way.

Same for the time needed to get the card. Mystery.

I asked people at my hostel to phone the consulate in Sao Paulo (yo no hablo el portuguese) to ask. They said with my documents, I would get the visa the same day.

Took my courage (and patience) in both my hands and headed to the consulate. Got there 40 minutes before it closed. Was the last one in.

I thought it would be harder. But the visa guy was really nice, understood I didn't speak portuguese. With a half filled form, because I didn't know what to write in most of the spaces to fill, and a signature, the man was happy. I needed a copy of my ticket, a copy of my passport and a proof of stay in a hostel.

Couple of minutes later, he printed my card. I can get in Cuba without any problem.

Was easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment