Tuesday 7 August 2012

18 hours on the bus



Like most tourists visiting Argentina while running out of time, I had no choice but to take the bus between Puerto de Iguazu and Buenos Aires, a beautiful adventure of 18 hours.

To find the appropriate bus, I used the website www.plataforma10.net. I was suprised to learn there is  a bus every 15 minutes to Buenos Aires.

The only problem I saw was I needed to leave from the argentinian side, while I was staying on the Brazilian side. That meant I had to leave my hostel at least two hours ahead of time to cross the border without problems.











I chose the company Crucero del Norte, which offered reclinable seats to sleep, with movies and food too.

I admit I was a little scared to spend 18 hours on a bus. But considering the comfort of the seats and the time of departure, it wasn't that bad.

We were served an aperitif and candies to wait for the dinner. After, they showed a really bad comedy in spanish and american movies with spanish subtitles.

Of course, the sleep helped pass the time. But one needs to have warm clothes. Because the air con is really cold.

The next day, we got a breakfast and another american movie dubbed in spanish.

Astonishing fact, even if the road was all in Argentina, we stopped often for security controls for which military men got on board to check the bags and look at the passengers.

For one of those controls, I played stupide like a guy who doesn't understand spanish. Everybody had to stand up and open their bags.

In the end, I arrived in Retiro Station, in Buenos Aires, where I needed to be creative to find my way to my hostel. The directions I got were telling me to take the metro. But guess what... the metro was on strike. Still have to understand that in spanish. Fortunately, I could catch a cab with a honest driver who dropped me at my hostel. Because in Buenos Aires, one must be careful about the taxi drivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment