Wednesday 4 April 2012

Surviving Macao

Macao
Surviving Macao. In the sense of living after being in Macao. And in the sense of staying alive in Macao itself...

Not that it's a dangerous place. Especially since that part of China feels more like Europe or Las Vegas than Asia... in its more commercial way. With 28 degrees, 60 % humidity (weather forecast expert friends, what temperature does it make us feel?), with a very warm jean, a heatstroke can come fast.

Luckily, I survived (a little bit in spite of me) while going up a hill managing the few millilirtes of water I had left.

The worst part, let's say it like that, was to get lost in those neverending streets while darkness and smog were falling, in a city where each skyscrapper looks exactly like the other skyscrappers. Visual references don't exist. You forget the roman way to build streets, with parallel and perpendicular streets. Forget logic. Forget the street signs too, because they might send you in the wrong direction...

Simply put, you walk towards east, you take right... but you find yourself being completely up north. Where everything is grey. No tourists. Like a movie which takes place in the future where it's always grey. How come? Don't know. Will never know I think. But I didn't panic. Didn't take the risk of bording public transportation. I walked all the way across the peninsula, heading south. Got there way before the ferry going back to Hong Kong.

Visa

That said, I'm very happy to announce I got my visa for China. I'm under the impression it is easier than it looks to get it. Because they receive so many requests. It seems like they accept almost all of them. There goes a saga that wasn't one.

I'm taking a plane for Shanghai this Thursday and I'm thinking of spending around 20 days in the country. I already have my ticket for Japan. I will need to stop and plan a little bit because the countries ahead ask for visas...

No comments:

Post a Comment