Thursday 5 April 2012

Made in China

I got in China. The "real" China. Got in Shanghai at the end of the afternoon. I survived my flight on a low cost company : Spring Airlines. Low cost : no meal, no comfort, but a cheap link between Hong Kong and Shanghai. The seats felt like they were made of cardboard and were not reclining at all...

Surrounded by Chinese, I discovered that the stewardess of that company, on top of giving the security tips, were guiding the passengers through some exercises before landing. It was funny to see everybody raise their arms to shake their hands...

It was easy to go through immigration. No questions. Or almost. A stamp in the passport. There you go : set to go. 

I decided to board the Maglev to get in town, before using the metro. It wasn't long before a woman took me for a walking ATM. A white guy coming from the airport : kaching!

While I was trying to understand how to buy a metro ticket, she was asking for money, saying thank you all the time. She kept on trying. She added very much. And when I was saying no, she was putting on a sad face. She followed me everywhere. Until I got in the metro. The begging Chinese really follow us like seagulls searching for french fries. They stick with us.

In the big city, with people asking us stuff all around, touching us, it was the first time I felt like I needed to watch my wallet, my passport and my other belongings.

Scam
At least, they won't get me with the Tea Ceremony scam I heard about. Some people act like tourists or strangers and invite you to a tea ceremony. But the price is ridiculously high. When you know it, you stay aware.

Tomorrow, I'm seeking adventure in that big city... with Gilly, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment