Sunday 27 May 2012

Welcome in Cambodia Kingdom




I made it safely in the capital of Cambodia Kingdom, Phnom Penh, after six hours on the bus. Long life the south-east asian roads.

Crossing the border was simple. The bus stopped for a control in Vietnam. Everybody got down, stepped in a building, but nobody would take their luggage with them. I had to think for a minute before I agreed to do as instructed.

Inside, there was a metal detector and a X ray machine for luggages. But it looked like they were not using them today. Maybe they didn't feel like it.

They stamped our passport and we got back on the bus... for a 28 metres ride.

TADAM! Cambodia's border. The employee of the bus company came down with us after gathering the passports and the money. I learned afterwards that the 25 $US I paid were more than the 20 $US it usually costs. So be it.

In Angkor Wat country, still no luggage scan. But they took my fingerprints. They looked at my visa and I was good to go.

The bus made a last stop five minutes later, so we could buy some food or souvenirs. And we headed to the capital.

There, no choice. The tuk-tuk was the best option to get to the hostel. In the pure tradition, the driver said « I know where it is, I know » to convince me to choose him. BUT... he didn't know at all. Anyway, we agreed on a price beforehand. Go ahead man. Take as long as you need, I have all the time in the world.

Saying no to a kid

In the afternoon, I went to explore the city. Because I broke my first pair of sunglasses, lost the second one and bought a third one that was too cheap, I bought fake Ray Bans for 3 $.

But taking my wallet out in the street was like eating a lot of fries next to a McDonald's. Bad idea. The sellers rushed to me trying to convince me to buy stuff.

I bought a bracelet from a 10 or 12 years old girl. For one dollar. That is a lot of money in Cambodia and a bracelet is easier for me to carry than anything else.

At the same time came Little Buddy (That's the name I gave him), the one boy on the picture. How old? Seven, eight? He spends his days in the street, selling scarves and bracelets. To afford school, he says.

I didn't really want another bracelet. But the kid followed me for 15 minutes. Under a really warm sun. I gave up, accepted to buy something if he let me take a picture of him.

How do you say no to a kid that young? I'll need to get stronger because I might come across more of these.

I was wondering if it was better to buy from him or not... Cannot find an answer.

That said, Cambodia is wonderful for now. I expect to spend one more day in Phnom Penh before heading to Battambang on the bus. From there, after one day or two, I'll go to Siem Reap.

No comments:

Post a Comment