Thursday 24 May 2012

Hi, I'm a student

Sapa
Ok! We'll set things clear once and for all. When you come to me saying "Hi! I'm a student. Where are you from?", there is something telling me I can't trust you.

Since my friend Jeannot told me not to talk to strangers, and with what I experienced in China, I'm starting to believe you're trying to get some money from me.

Guess what. In Shanghai, Beijing, Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), there are young couples talking to tourists saying they want to practice their english. I've already written about the tea ceremony scam in China. In Vietnam, the intentions are not that obvious.

In Hanoi, I agreed to let a young girl follow me so she could ask some questions to improve her english. But I was fast to set things clear : I didn't have a lot of time to spend with her. She gave up by herself.

Was she sincere? Don't know. But it was clear she wouldn't be able to get any money from me and there was no way she could steal anything from my bag or my pockets.

Had the same experience in Ho Chi Minh City. Left behind a couple who tried to talk to me. When two girls started following me, laughing, and one of them asked for me to answer a couple of questions for a school assignement, I agreed to participate. Again, I kept my belongings really close to me. Maybe they were sincere after all.

Radar

Everywhere in Asia, motorcycle drivers have the eye of an eagle. A tourist just needs to walk around the corner for someone to flag him on the other end of the street. If you are of those having trouble to say no, it's time to practice. Here, you need to say no all the time.

Some insist enough to grab us by the arm... "Where do you go?", they ask.

Saying "no" once and ignoring them is the best solution, I believe. But as soon as you got rid of the first one, another one comes to you. It barely never ends...

And at night, the same drivers offer you to get some massages... They insist for that too...

No comments:

Post a Comment