Sunday 4 March 2012

Going with the flow

Queenstown, New Zealand

I'm speaking more and more in english. I will soon have been gone for three complete weeks, which is about 10 years in a dog's life and six months in a round-the-world traveler's life, and the little voice in my head switches slowly from french to english, without stopping. That's how it is when you surround yourself with another language.

Well, I say surrounded... Even if I like our French cousins, there are freaking everywhere. You cannot go around the corner without meeting one. BUT, not a lot of "French Canadians".

« You're my first French Canadian » I was told today. Woot!

All that introduction was a way to apologize for using an english title on the french version on this blog. But it was the first title that came into my mind.

So... Going with the flow... Because I tied my cartesian-planning self at the very bottom of my luggage, I accept that I don't know, two or three days ahead, where I'll be and what I'll be doing. Unless I'm in high season, it's probably the best way to see the world. And it allows to have last minute plans.

That's what I did when I figured their was a Nostradamus sign in the cancellation of my ferry. No ferry? Ok, then I'll fly to Queenstown, all the way down the south island, where everybody says you need to go. Too bad for Picton, Nelson and the other northern destinations.

Didn't need to fight to get my refund for the ferry, that's already something. And I flew, like a little bird, early this morning. The capital, with it's neverending grey sky, rainy and windy city, was left behind. One hour later, I found sun and just a little bit of wind.

Queenstown, I love you! Just for your sun. But also because now I understand why everybody says you need to go there. Some will prefer the hundreds of bars and pubs, way too many for the number of people living here. But I also fall for the huge mountains, the lake, the nature with a capital N, a little bit in the middle of nowhere.

I've seen the huge mountains in Innsbruck, Austria, with snow on top. But here, there is a lake. It's almost silent when you go up anywhere. There is a feeling that this nature is really stronger than everything.

So, listening to the gossips, I'm emptying my bank account tomorrow to explore Milford Sound fjord. 120 people live there. And seals (guaranteed). And maybe dolphins too.

I just realized I chose expensive countries. More time in Asia would have helped save money. But one cannot miss New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment