Monday 19 March 2012

Driving on the left

Great Ocean Road, Australia
Monday night. End of thre road trip. Ready for another road trip, but a little bit tired of those four days of driving. Poor me...

No, I didn't get involved in an accident by driving on the left... but on the right. Left side of the road, steering wheel on the right.

Friday, I got my hands on a gleaming blue Holden Cruze, opening roof, a/c, leather seats, electric windows and too many controls on the steering wheel. Not that bad for the cheapest car I could find in Melbourne.

With a French guy and a German girl, I left on the Great Ocean Road, starting in Melbourne and stopping in Geelong, Torquay, Lorne, Apollo Bay, Cape Otway and Warrnambool. Other than the rain that would start every time we were stepping out of the car on Friday, the remaining of the week-end was perfect. From sunny day to sunny day. From opened roof to opened roof.

True, I often activated the wipers instead of the flashers. I often searched for the stick on the right. And I drove one little time, early in the morning, in the right lane instead of the left lane. I got mixed up.

But everybody got back alive. Friday, the beaches were the most popular thing. Saturday, we saw koalas in the trees and the popular Twelve Apostles.

During the evening, we met with a French girl who was sleeping in the same hostel we were in in Melbourne. She was traveling with 4 other girls. The seven of us left for the Grampians, beautiful mountains. The next evening, while driving down one of those mountains, kangaroos were everywhere along the curvy roads. Danger! But nothing happened. And today, on our way back, we stopped in Ballarat, in an animal sanctuary where we could touch an alligator, a koala, some kangaroos again, and a wombat.

Leaving those new friends after four intense days was heartbreaking. But everyone has to go their own way.

I'm leaving early tomorrow (6:30) in a bus that will go to Sydney in three days. On the way, we'll stop on the highest mountain of Australia and we'll see Canberra.

This time, I'm not driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment