Monday 7 January 2013

What is for lunch?

Musaka, Greece
Can't avoid it. Like it or not, while traveling, one needs to eat. Yes, it might be expensive. Yes, the picky ones might have a hard time to swallow some food. But the meals, like the people we meet and the places we visit are part of the trip experience.

One of the advices I read before leaving was warning travelers : even while traveling on a budget, it is better not to try to save on food. We'll sleep on uncomfortable beds, we'll take longer rides on trains, we'll accept a layover on a flight, but having an empty stomach compromises health and will keep you from enjoying unique moments.
Jelly fish, Vietnam

I didn't follow those advices at first. Adrenaline and the need to see more pushed me to eat only sandwiches for about two weeks.

But like for the rest, at some point, it feels like it is necessary to show some temerity. So we go with the flow. No need to eat insects or disgusting stuff to eat like a local. Just needs to get some info on traditionnal recipes.

That way, I tried a traditionnal maori meal in New Zealand, kangaroo in Australia, dim sums in Hong Kong, crocodile and snake in Cambodia, traditionnal gyros and musaka in Greece and... a real steak in Argentina.

Still incomplete, my pictures gallery on my Facebook page offers an overview of the meals I ate on my trip.

Will it always be good and tasteful? No! I tasted unidentified and spicy things in China. My bottle of water was my best friend to make it all go down. And I gave up before I could finish it all.

For the devil's advocate, I admit I tried McDonald's in almost all the countries I visited. Even if I never go there at home. It's often cheaper, wi-fi is free, and we know what to expect. Other classics include : KFC, Burger King, Dairy Queen, Häagen-Dasz, Subway and Pizza Hut.

For the sweet tooth, some countries are really not fulfilling. Desserts and sweats are not easy to find everywhere.

And yes, one can get an upset stomach once in awhile. But that's also part of the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment