Saturday 26 January 2013

Winter Heath in the Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon
Here I am. Finally made it to the Grand Canyon. I woke up really early to see the sunrise. We don't think about it, but rented cars don't come with a snow broom or a scraper. Luckily, the windshield wasn't too frosted. But the temperature was definitely under freezing point.

After the sunrise, I decided to take the shuttle to bring me to the hiking trail : Bright Angel Trail (12 miles for the return trip). And I was using the principle of clothes layers to keep warm.

Good decision, since the more you go down in the canyon, the warmer it gets. And comes a point where you don't know what to wear anymore. From the icy trail in the upper part, with its light frisky breeze, we go on to the warmer Indian Garder (3/4 of the way) and really under the sun at Plateau Point.

That one, at the end of the trail, is really a very small point when you look at the canyon from above. Had I known I would have to walk to this point, I would have discouraged myself. But in the end, when you get there, you can see condors flying.

The best, after all this, is you have to go back up. They say you shouldn't wait to be tired to climb back. Because it's like an inverted mountain. To go down, it always goes well... But to go up...

So I had to stop often before being back to the starting point. Seven hours after I started, around 10 hours after I fell from my bed, my legs were getting weary fast. I ran out of water too. So yes, one must be careful when they decide how long the hike should be. And it was winter. I can't imagine how hard it is with the heath in summer.

Too bad for the sunset, after that, I only wanted to go back to bed.

The next day, I went back to explore the South Kaibab Trauk, which was recommended to me. That time, I climbed back once I reached the middle point. Enough to see the canyon from different angles.

Note that food, gaz and others are expensive in Tusayan near the canyon. Of course! You buy there or not at all, so the prices are adjusted in consequence. On the trails, put on your best smile. The other hikers might want to stop for a chat.

Anecdote : I bought a beautiful hat with a pompon on top after loosing mine around Hoover Dam... Karma : the hat was on the ground, at my feet, in front of the driver's seat, in the car. Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment