Saturday 28 April 2012

Amazing contrast

Osaka
The contrast is amazing between China and Japan. Interesting to see that two asian countries, so close to each other, are that different.

Even if I spent only two days in the rising sun country and I've seen only the ordinary town of Osaka, I can tell I like that country.

First, no smog. No-thing. For now, at least. Two days full of sun with blue sky all the time. No clouds (or rain or smoke).

The streets are clean, clean, clean. No spit anywhere. Noise? Not close to the noise in China. Funny looks at my white guy head? None? Surprised looks when I mime something? None. Japanese try to understand.

For a third consecutive day, strangers ran to help me. I take a picture of myself? Someone run to take the picture for me. I have a big question mark above my head in front of the not-easy-to-understand metro system? I get help to buy the ticket and someone helps me to get to the appropriate platform. Super!

In the innovation category : the three-in-one faucet in the bathrooms. They give soap, water and dry the hands. Also in the bathroom, they thought of putting a seat for a baby in front of the toilet to allow parents to free their hands. I also like the vending machines with which you order in the restaurants... if you can understand what is written on the buttons. You choose, you pay, you get a ticket and the waitress arrives with the meal.

The only problem came from transportation. It is efficient, no doubt about that. But for the foreigner, it is kind of complicated to understand. Because there is the JR, the metro and another train company in the same town. Once you understand how the map works, you need to catch how you're supposed to pay, it gets easy to understand where you go and how much it costs. After, you choose the amount on the machine, no matter what the destination is, and there you go.

No congratulations for the overpacked stuff though. Buying a bottle of water and putting it in a plastic bag? We'll need to tell them.

In the end, the recycling bins are everywhere. Especially next to the vending machines. For the trash can, on the other hand, you need to search a lot. Maybe it helps people to recycle, but if you're a tourist with the first signs of a cold... it's not very nice.

Tip

I don't think I wrote about that earlier. When you leave Canada, it is possible (and recommanded) to register online on the canadian governement website. That way, if there is any security issue while you're gone, it'll be easier to find you and to get in touch with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment