Saturday 9 March 2013

Exploring during stopover

In general, I like stopovers. Especially when they allow me to move a little bit between two long flights. But they become difficult to handle when they are too long.

From there comes the question : should I leave the airport during a stopover?

For the first time, I tried my luck. Stopover of five hours in Amsterdam. Didn't want to waste my time for an eternity. I went! Wishing I wouldn't miss the plane that should bring me to Montreal.

All in all, I had two hours to walk under the rain in the Netherland's capital. Was worth it.

At first, I was wondering. How do I do? Do I have enough time? Will I miss my flight?

To make it simple, all you need to do is to get informed before reaching a decision.

The five hours I had were for me a minimum. Because you need to consider you have to clear customs, find a way to the city, come back, clear customs and security again. All of that knowing you should probably be in the airport 1:30 before the flight leaves, just in case something happens.

Schipol airport was perfect to leave and come back easily : no line at customs, security is cleared directly at the gate, which means no line there either, and a train going from the airport to the central station... in 17 minutes. In some cities, it can be expensive and long to get in town, by taxi or shuttle.

For example, it might be harder to get in town in Montreal for a stopover. Because not the same type of transport. Because not as easy to get out.

One has to remember it is easier to get out when you don't need to wait for luggages on the belt before exiting. Most of the times, they will be transfered directly to the final destination.

Just like that

Hey you who book an aisle seat in the plane : don't throw yourself in line first when they open the gate. Because you sighing won't convince anybody when you have to stand up to leave room for your seatmates who boarded after you. You know, the plane is gonna leave when everyone is seated anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment